News and Events
- September 2011 We are pleased to announce that on September 21, 2011 Anna Kicinger presented
to the Council of the Faculty of Journalism and Political Sciences of the University of Warsaw her doctoral
dissertation on "Polish migration policy, 1918 - 2004". The dissertation was approved unanimously.
Congratulations! The supervisor was Professor Dariusz Stola. The dissertation was based on the results
of the project Polish Migration Policy: its principles and legal aspects funded by the BMU Foundation.
- January 2011 IOM's study on Migration, Employment and Labour Market Integration Policies in
the European Union (2000-2009) has been released online. The study explores the labour market impact of migration
as well as the role of migrant admission and employment policies in Europe. Anna Kicinger is the author of the chapter
on Poland. The publication is available
- 7.12.2010 During the ESPON conference Rozwoj terytorialny oparty na wiedzy (Evidence-based territorial
development) in Warsaw, Marek Kupiszewski presented the results of the project DEMIFER
- Demographic and migratory flows affecting European regions and cities. [Conference program]
- November 2010 The Australian Research Council awarded a grant for Comparing internal migration in countries around the world: measures,
theories and policy dimensions. Professor Martin Bell of the University of Queensland is the project leader and
John Stillwell (University of Leeds), Yu Zhu (Fujian Normal University) and Marek Kupiszewski (IOM/CEFMR)
- November 2010 An interview with Marek Kupiszewski on Economic Effects of Migration in Central Europe has been published
in "The Forum. Discussing International Affairs and Economics"
Fall 2010 Issue: Migration
- 29-30 October 2010 Dorota Kupiszewska presented a paper Statistique et modélisation de la migration
et population. Problèmes et résultats at the international conference "Les evolution de la recherche sur les migrations
internationales. Théories, concepts, méthods et défis contemporains" organized in Rabat (Morocco)
by the Association
Marocaine d'Etudes et de Recherches sur les Migrations (AMERM)
and Faculté des Sciences Juridiques, Economiques et Sociales de Rabat-Agdal.
- 14-15 October 2010 Dorota Kupiszewska was a speaker at the training seminar
Making Sense of Migration
Statistics: Comparing Data and Practical Application in Brussels, organised by EIPA (European Institute of Public
Administration) in collaboration with ICMPD (International Centre for Migration Policy Development)
- 23.11.2009 A final conference of the project "Polish Migration Policy: Its Principles and Legal Aspects" was held in £azienkowski Hotel, Warsaw. The conference titled "Polish Migration Policy: Historical Outline and the Challenges for Today" gathered policy-makers and representatives of the academic society. [More on the conference ]
- November 2009 The study on The Gender Dimension of Geographic Labour Mobility in the European Union commissioned by the European Parliament was prepared by the team led by Prof. Louise Ackers (University of Liverpool), with contribution of CEFMR's staff.
- 01.01.2009 Since the beginning of 2009, CEFMR operates in a new institutional setting [more...]
Archive: [CEFMR News] [Events at CEFMR] [Conferences and seminars]
- 15.12.2008 During the seminar Europe: Societal Challenges under Demographic Change and Economic Transformation, organised to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Institute of Statistics and Demography, Warsaw School of Economics, Marek Kupiszewski presented an invited paper on Uncertainty in demography
and social science - a non-technical perspective. [Overheads]
Congratulations and best wishes to our Colleagues from the ISD WSE on their anniversary!
- 8-9.12.2008 During the National Bank of Poland (NBP) conference on Migration, Labour Market and Economic Growth in Europe after Enlargement, Marek Kupiszewski and Arkadiusz Wiśniowski presented two papers on migration forecasting and impacts.
- 21-22.11.2008 During the conference marking the 15th anniversary of the Centre of Migration Research, University of Warsaw, Marek Kupiszewski and Jakub Bijak presented a paper on Measurement, estimation, modelling and forecasting of migration and population dynamics - a demometric perspective on migration research
Congratulations and best wishes to our Colleagues from the CMR on their anniversary!
- 17-18.11.2008 During the Conference on European Economic Integration 2008, held at the Oesterreichische Nationalbank (OeNB), Marek Kupiszewski presented an invited paper on: Changing demographies - future developments in Europe. [Overheads]
- 16.10.2008 During the IX Polish Congress of Market and Opinion Researchers Jakub Bijak presented an invited paper on The impact of unregistered migration on population size and the consequences for market and opinion research.
- 17-19.09.2008 During the QMSS2 seminar on Estimation and projection of international migration held in Southampton, UK, Jakub Bijak and Arkadiusz Wiśniowski presented altogether three papers on migration estimation and forecasting.
- 9-12.07.2008 During the 25th European Population Conference in Barcelona, CEFMR was represented by Marek Kupiszewski, Dorota Kupiszewska and Jakub Bijak, altogether (co)authoring four papers presented there.
- 9-11.06.2008 Jakub Bijak and Barbara Więckowska (Warsaw School of Economics) attended the National Conference Actuarial Issues: Theory and Practice in Warsaw, with a presentation on "The Lee-Carter model and the height of annuity benefits - results for Poland". Overheads (in Polish) are available from the conference website.
- 10.03.2008 Weronika Kloc-Nowak presented FEMAGE project findings concerning integration programmes during the Association for Legal Intervention seminar entitled "Equal rights? Equal opportunities? Situation of immigrants in Poland". Overheads from the presentation (in Polish) are available here.
- 28.02.2008: Marek Kupiszewski was listed by the Office for National Statistics, UK,as an external expert in the field of Migration.
- 28.11.2007: The Committee of Demographic Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences awarded the Jerzy Z. Holzer Medaille to Jakub Bijak, for his research on Bayesian methods in forecasting international migration.
- 20.11.2007: Programme of CMR seminars in the academic year 2007/2008, including three CEFMR presentations is available here.
- 10.07.2007: Dr Barbara Więckowska (Warsaw School of Economics) and Jakub Bijak were awarded the Professor Mieczysław Kucharski Fund scholarship for their research on the "Robustness of defined-contribution pension systems against the uncertainty of specification of mortality forecasting models from the Lee-Carter family, on the example of selected post-socialist countries".
- 2-13.07.2007: Anna Kicinger participated in the 7th Summer School on European Union Law and Policy on Immigration and Asylum organised by the Odysseus Network - Academic network for legal studies on immigration and asylum in Europe. The course provided for a comprehensive in-depth overview of latest EU developments relating to immigration and asylum as well as introduction to possible future directions of EU policy in the field.
- 31.10.2006: Programme of joint seminars of the Centre of Migration Research and CEFMR for the academic year 2006/2007 is now available (pdf 105KB).
- 20.10.2006: The Senate of the Republic of Poland hosted a conference on Economic migration from Poland to other countries of the European Union - a challenge for the state, during which J. Bijak and M. Kupiszewski presented a paper "Long-term consequences of emigration to the European Union for the size and structure of population and labour force resources in Poland". Conference programme is provided on the website of the Senate. Overheads (pdf 227KB). All materials are available only in Polish.
- 20-26.07.2006: CEFMR conducted a course in migration policy for Kazakh experts. On the invitation of the UNDP/UNFPA in Kazakhstan, Marek Kupiszewski conducted a course for the local senior civil servants, employees of international organisations, NGOs, and experts in migration policy. The course consisted of two 24-hour blocks, of which the first one, prepared by Anna Kicinger, was devoted to the sociological and political aspects of population flows, as well as to the ethnic migration, while the second one, demographic and geographic in scope, covered the issues of economic migration. The course was held in Almaty and Astana.
- 13.07.2006: Weronika Kloc-Nowak obtained an M.A. degree in Sociology from the Warsaw University for a thesis "Socio-economic Adaptation of Female Immigrants from Ukraine with Settlement Permit in Poland". Congratulations!
- 25-26.04.2006: On the invitation of the Research and Publications Unit of the Headquarters of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), Marek Kupiszewski took part as a trainer in the Research and Publications Training Workshop for IOM staff from South-Eastern Asia. The workshop was held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- 31.03.2006: Also on the request of the Research and Publications Unit of the IOM, CEFMR has conducted a revision and update of the IOM Research Manual. More...
- 15.01.2006: CEFMR has been invited to participate in the IMISCOE Network of Excellence as an Associated Member.
- 15.03.2005: Jakub Bijak received an Annual Stipend for Young Scientists, awarded by the Foundation for Polish Science.
- 08.11.2004: CEFMR signed a partnership agreement with the Swiss Forum for Migration and Population Studies (SFM) [more...].
Events organised at CEFMR:
Participation in the conferences and seminars (since 2004):
- 29.11.2007: Marek Kupiszewski and Jakub Bijak were invited to the seminar
"Demographic situation as a factor of economic growth" in the R. Łazarski School of Commerce and Law, and presented a paper on The consequences of ageing of the Polish population.
- 2-4.11.2007: Marek Kupiszewski was invited to the conference "Can Europe benefit from migration?" hosted by the Ditchley Foundation, UK.
- 10-12.10.2007: Jakub Bijak was invited to the Joint Eurostat / UNECE Work Session on Demographic Projections held in Bucharest, and presented a paper entitled "Bayesian Model Selection in Forecasting International Migration: Simple Time Series Models and Their Extensions". Overheads (pdf 424KB).
- 13-15.09.2007: Marek Kupiszewski was invited to the XIII Polish Sociological Conference held in Zielona Góra, and presented a paper entitled "Changes in the patterns of migration in Poland: from permanent migration in the communist period to multiple forms of migration and mobility in the 21st century - consequences for Polish migration policy".Overheads (ppt 1200KB).
- 7-8.09.2007: Marek Kupiszewski was invited to the Second IZA Workshop: EU Enlargement and the Labor Markets held in Bonn. Presented paper: Marek Kupiszewski, Jakub Bijak "The Impact of the EU Enlargement on the Polish Labor Market" .
- 3-6.09.2007: During the 8th European Sociological Association Conference in Glasgow, UK, Weronika Kloc-Nowak presented the paper "Comparing life trajectories and adaptive strategies of Ukrainian and Vietnamese female immigrants in Poland"Overheads (ppt 926KB).
- 4-6.09.2007: During the conference Dynamic Econometric Models 2007 held in Toruń, Poland, Jakub Bijak presented the paper "Bayesian Forecasting of International Migration in Europe: Selected Methodological Approaches" Overheads (pdf 399KB).
- 29.08.2007: Proceedings from the October 2006 Senate Conference, including the presentations of Jakub Bijak and Marek Kupiszewski are now available online as pdf.
- 21-23.05.2007: National Scientific Conference "Actuarial Statistics: Theory and Practice", Wrocław, Poland. Presented paper: J. Bijak, B. Więckowska (Warsaw School of Economics), Forecasting life expectancy with the Lee-Carter model.
- 23-24.04.2007: During the IMISCOE A2 conference in Warsaw Marek Kupiszewski presented a paper: Impact of international migration on population developments and labour force resources in selected Central and Eastern European countries: policy considerations.
- 16-18.02.2007: The Third Open University of the France-Pologne pour l'Europe Foundation, under the theme: Regional Development of the Unified Europe in the Face of the Global Mobility of Labour Force, Strasbourg, France. J. Bijak presented a paper: Demographic changes in Europe and worldwide in the 21st century. Overheads (pdf 380KB).
- 15-16.12.2006: Seminar What social future for Europe? The effects of social security in an ageing society, organised within the framework of the «Forum pour une Europe démocratique, sociale et solidaire» by the Belgian Christian workers' organisation ACW, Brussels. J. Bijak presented a paper: Selected socio-economic implications of demographic and labour force changes in Europe in the first half of the 21st century. Overheads (pdf 721KB).
- 04.12.2006: Seminar on Migration and Ethnic Research in Contemporary Poland organised by the Research Committee on Population Migration and Polish Diaspora of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw. A. Kicinger presented an overview of the most important research projects of the Central European forum for Migration Research. Overheads in Polish (pdf 186KB).
- 24-28.07.2006: The 26th European Meeting of Statisticians, Toruń, Poland. Presentation: J. Bijak, Bayesian Framework for Forecasting International Migration: Selected Options. Poster (pdf 1.97MB).
- 21-24.06.2006: The European Population Conference 2006, organized by the European Association for Population Studies (EAPS), Liverpool, UK. Presented papers:
Marek Kupiszewski also convened Topic 5 on Regional and Subregional Population Dynamics, and chaired a session on Population forecasts and projections of small areas and special groups.
- M. Kupiszewski, J. Bijak, and B. Nowok, Impact of future demographic trends in Europe. Abstract available from the conference website. Overheads (pdf 197KB).
- B. Nowok, Relations Between Measurements of International Migration Statistics. Abstract available from the conference website. Overheads (pdf 284KB).
- D. Kupiszewska, B. Nowok, Official International Migration Statistics in the EU - Data Availability and Comparability. Abstract available from the conference website. Overheads (pdf 2.90MB).
- J. Bijak, Bayesian Model Averaging in Forecasting International Migration. Abstract available from the conference website. Overheads (pdf 284KB).
- 19-21.06.2006: The Third International Population Geographies Conference, Liverpool, UK. J. Bijak presented a paper: J. Bijak and D. Kupiszewska, Demographic and Labour Market Policy Options for the Ageing Europe. Overheads (pdf 798KB).
- 14.06.2006: Marek Kupiszewski has been invited to participate in the Workshop "Poland-Germany on the common European market: prospects of Polish-German labour migration in the European Year of Mobility of Workers" organized by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation in Warsaw. Presented paper: International emigration from Poland - unknown present, uncertain future. Overheads (pdf 310KB).
- 19-20.05.2006: An introductory seminar of the Third Open University of the France-Pologne pour l'Europe Foundation, on Regional Development of the Unified Europe in the Face of the Global Mobility of Workplaces and Labour Force Until 2015, Strasbourg, France. J. Bijak presented a paper: J. Bijak, D. Kupiszewska and M. Kupiszewski, Population and labour force changes in Europe in the perspective of 2050. Overheads (pdf 685KB).
- 17.05.2006: Conference London's Polish Borders: New patterns of migration between Poland and the UK two years after the EU enlargement, Consulate General of the Republic of Poland, London. Presented paper: M. Kupiszewski, Central European international migration - complex present, uncertain future. Overheads (pdf 1.00MB).
- 12.04.2006: The Batory Foundation Conference on Visa policies and regulations concerning the situation of foreigners on the Polish labour market, Warsaw. Presented paper: A. Kicinger, Polish Migration Policy: Dilemmas and Interests. Overheads (in Polish) (pdf 146KB).
- 10-12.03.2006: The IMISCOE Cluster A1 Workshop on Regular and irregular flows: quantities, processes and types of regulations in Europe, Istanbul, Turkey. Presented paper: J. Bijak and I. Koryś, Statistics or Reality? International Migration in Poland, available as CEFMR Working Paper 3/2006 (pdf 970KB). Overheads (pdf 255KB).
- 31.01.2006: The RTN DEMOG Concluding Workshop, Max Planck Institute for
Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany. B. Nowok presented a paper: B.
Nowok, D. Kupiszewska, Comparability of statistics on international
migration flows in the European Union. Overheads (pdf 143KB).
- 01-02.12.2005: Marek Kupiszewski participated in the 10th meeting of the European Population Committee of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, and presented a paper: M. Kupiszewski, J. Bijak, and B. Nowok, Impact of future demographic trends in Europe. Overheads (pdf 394KB); full report (pdf 913KB).
- 18-19.11.2005: "New Patterns of East-West Migration in Europe", conference organized by Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA) Germany. Presented paper: A. Kicinger, Was it Really the Only Player? The EU Enlargement and Its Impact on the Polish Migration Policy. Overheads (pdf 197KB). Revised version of the paper available as CEFMR Working Paper 9/2005 (pdf 419KB).
- 07-08.10.2005: Warsaw Regional Forum 2005, Institute of Geography and Spatial Organization, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw. J. Bijak presented a paper: J. Bijak, D. Kupiszewska, M. Kupiszewski, K. Saczuk, Replacement Migration Revisited: International Migration, Population and Labour Force Resources in Europe, 2002-2052. Abstract is available from the Website of the Forum (pdf 65KB). Overheads (pdf 218KB). The same material has been also presented on the Conference of the Economic Faculty, Warsaw University, in Kazimierz Dolny (Poland) on 24.09.2005. Overheads in Polish (pdf 269KB).
- 28-30.09.2005: A Workshop on the Estimation of International Migration in Europe: Issues, Models and Assessment, Co-organized by Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute (S3RI) and the Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute (NIDI), University of Southampton, UK. Presented papers:
- B. Nowok, Evolution of international migration statistics in selected Central European countries: collection methods, concepts and international comparability. Overheads (pdf 443KB).
- D. Kupiszewska, B. Nowok, Comparability of statistics on international migration flows in the European Union. Overheads (pdf 7.58MB).
- M. Kupiszewski, D. Kupiszewska, A revision of traditional multiregional model to better capture the consequences of international migration: The MULTIPOLES - MULTIstate POpulation Model for MultiLEvel Systems, and its applications. Overheads (pdf 184KB).
- J. Bijak, Bayesian methods in international migration forecasting. Overheads (pdf 350KB).
- 21-23.09.2005: A Joint Eurostat - UN ECE Work Session on Demographic Projections, Statistics Austria, Vienna.
- M. Kupiszewski presented a paper: J. Bijak, D. Kupiszewska, M. Kupiszewski, K. Saczuk, and A. Kicinger, Population and labour force forecasts for 27 European countries, 2002-52. Full text (pdf 437KB) and Abstract available from the Work Session website. Overheads (pdf 316KB).
- J. Bijak presented a paper: J. Bijak, D. Kupiszewska, and M. Kupiszewski, Replacement migration revisited: migratory flows, population and labour force in Europe, 2002-52. Full text (pdf 297KB) and Abstract available from the Work Session website. Overheads (pdf 163KB).
- B. Nowok presented her paper on Data on international migration flows available in selected Central European countries to project future trends. Abstract available from the Work Session website. Overheads (pdf 185KB).
- 13.06.2005: A Workshop For Early-Career Researchers, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Warsaw. Presented paper: A. Kicinger, The legal implications for migrant scientists and their families. Overheads (pdf 213KB).
- 28.04.2005: Seminar Migration - opportunity or threat for the Polish labour market and ageing society?, Center for International Relations, Warsaw. Panel presentation: J. Bijak, on migration, demography and ageing.
- 18-19.03.2005: The IMISCOE Cluster C9 Workshop on Immigrants and Immigration Policy Making: A Comparative Analysis, International and European Forum of Migration Research (FIERI), Turin, Italy. Presented paper: M. Mazur-Rafał, Immigrant and Immigration Policy-Making in Poland. Overheads (pdf 110KB).
- 10-11.03.2005: Conference Dimensions of Integration - Migrant Youth in Central European Countries, IOM Vienna. A. Kicinger presented a paper of I. Koryś, entitled Migrant's youth in Poland - is a tide coming up? Overheads (pdf 781KB).
- 10-11.03.2005: The PIE International Workshop on Economics of Intergenerational Equity in Transition Economies, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo, Japan. Presented paper: M. Kupiszewski, Migration in Poland in the Period of Transition - the Adjustment to the Labour Market Changes. Overheads (pdf 1.39MB); full text available from the Workshop website (pdf 1.51MB).
- 18.01.2005: Scientific conference of the Office of the City of Warsaw, Committee of Demographic Sciences, Polish Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Statistics and Demography, Warsaw School of Economics: Perspectives of the demographic developments of Warsaw, Warsaw. Presented paper: M. Kupiszewski, J. Bijak Evaluation of the 2003 population forecasts of the Central Statistical Office from the perspective of the Warsaw agglomeration. Overheads in Polish (pdf 205KB).
- 25-27.11.2004: 2nd Conference of the EAPS Working Group on International Migration in Europe International Migration in Europe:
New Trends, New Methods of Analysis, Rome, Italy. Presented paper: J. Bijak, A. Kicinger et al., Long-term international migration scenarios for Europe, 2002-2052.
Full paper (pdf 403KB).
- 8-10.11.2004: OSCE First Preparatory Seminar Demographic Prospects in the OSCE Area - Economic and Security Implications, Trieste, Italy. Presented paper: M. Kupiszewski, K. Saczuk, Population mobility and migration in the OSCE area and OSCE neighbourhood and their economic implications.
Overheads (pdf 125KB).
- 8-10.09.2004: 7th New Faces Conference: Complementary or Competitive? NATO and EU Security Strategies within an ever larger Europe, Berlin, Germany. Presented paper: A. Kicinger, International Migration as a Non-Traditional Security Threat and the EU Responses to this Phenomenon, available as CEFMR Working Paper 2/2004 (pdf 306KB).